Wednesday 5 February 2020

Growing Deeply


It was Dietrich Bonhoeffer who said, 

"The more deeply we grow into the psalms and the more often we pray them as our own, the more simple and rich will our prayer become.”

This has been my own experience as I prayed my way through all 150 psalms.  The result is my latest book, "Dwelling in the Psalms".  How often do you pray the psalms "as your own"?  Not always easy, is it?  How often do the words of them feel relevant to your own individual situation; right now, today?  What would it be like to write them as if they'd come from your heart; as if they echoed your experience, gave words to your struggles?

Giving my own contemporary voice to the ancient texts enabled me to really make the psalms my own.  And, if you haven't come across the book yet, maybe my thoughts can help you do the same.  
But don't take my word for it.  Here's what others are saying -

A book to ponder and savour, perfect for personal devotions.
Sheridan Voysey

A wonderful book.
Pat Marsh's poetic gift is extraordinary and not a word is wasted.
Penny Bird

Available on Amazon, on my shop page and in all good Christian bookshops, it's selling fast and is well worth a look!  
.